With the betas of Windows Client & Server “8″, also comes the beta of Powershell version 3.0. I posted some of the benefits of Powershell 3.0 earlier.
Here are the steps to installing the Powershell 3 beta:
- Download the Microsoft .Net Framework 4 & install on the system before installing the Powershell 3 beta.
- Download the Powershell 3 beta to the c:\temp folder on a TEST Windows 7 SP1 or Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 machine.
- Extract the cab files by running the following command:
expand c:\temp\WMF3-CTP1-x64.cab c:\temp\Powershell3Beta -F:*
NOTE: Ensure the destination folder exists by creating it (Powershell3Beta in this example).
- Run the c:\temp\Powershell3Beta\WINDOWS6.1-KB2506143 MSU file, select OK for the installer and then the system will reboot.
- Open a powershell command window and run”$host.version“. This should show the following:
Note: Not all modules are updated with this install (there are still only 76 Active Directory commandlets).